Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Nothing New

Happy New Year to you all! I hope that 2012 finds everyone healthy, happy, and prosperous.

Ok, back to my usual cynical outlook on life: Who cares? January 1st is no different than May 1st or July 17th. It’s just another passing day on the calendar. The only difference is you need a new calendar in order to get to it.

Nonetheless, I do usually make some kind of resolution for the new year. One year I gave up soda. One year I gave up meat. One year I gave up chocolate, one year ice cream. I was stellar at each of these commitments, and I am not lying when I say I made it through the entire year successfully each time, and usually continued on past midnight New Year’s Eve. (I still don’t really drink soda, though I would not refuse it on a special occasion, and am anticipating a glass of ginger ale as I sit here waiting to board a flight back to LA.)

Although I did, per usual, go a bit overboard with the holiday treats this year, something else has been weighing on me lately (pun not intended).

You have heard me complain about my disdain for meaningless gifts, and excessive materialism and buying in general. I have also become increasingly annoyed at how disposable everything we buy seems to be; in essence, many of the inexpensive things available today are quite literally trash. Not to mention the ever-growing concerns about who exactly is producing what we are buying, how are they doing it, and where it is coming from (even more concerning is that usually the answer is, we don't really know or care).

So this year my resolution is to not buy anything new. 

To clarify, I will still buy things – even things that are wants rather than needs – but nothing that is brand-new-out-of-the-box-from-Walmart (ew).

How will this work? I’m not really sure, and I think the rules will need to be flexible. 
For instance, I have already decided I am allowed to bend the rules on a few things:

1. Expendables. Obviously. Food, toilet paper, soap, etc.

2. Shoes. 
They say a good pair of shoes will last 6 months or so, 3 months if you’re wearing them every day. By the time a pair of shoes gets to the thrift store, they have most likely lost any reasonable support. So I can buy sturdy shoes and sneakers as needed. But any occasional shoes I will need to either find used or borrow.

3. Linens. 
If I need something, I may look for used first, but if I can’t find anything suitable I think it’s OK to buy towels and sheets new.

4. Jeans. 
I am buying a new pair of jeans next week, whether you like it or not. I’ve been planning this jeans-shopping excursion for a couple of months now, and I need new jeans. And I’m going to get expensive jeans that fit really well. So sue me. But that will probably be the only pair.

5. Specialty Items. 
Let’s say I needed to make a bundt cake by tomorrow morning. I know from experience that you will not be able to find a bundt pan at the thrift store when you need one. Just go to the stupid store and get a new bundt pan, dummy.

6. High Quality, Long-Term Items. 
For instance, a refrigerator or mattress (also see #4). I don’t anticipate needing either of these things in the near future, but I want to keep my options open here.

7. Required Materials. For projects and such.

8. Underwear. As needed.

That’s all I can think of at the moment. And as I said before, these exceptions are loose.

But really the spirit of the resolution is to try to break out of the cycle of buying whatever I need when I need it, to be careful and conscious of what I am buying, and to search for quality items rather than the cheapest option.

I am honestly looking forward to the challenge of not being able to run to the store and immediately find what I want, really having to search for things I need, and also trying to build a current wardrobe without shopping at the mall. Well, minus that pair of jeans.

And what do I hope to accomplish with all this? Mainly a greater appreciation for the things I own. Secondly, to hone and refine my thrift-shopping and repair skills. Thirdly, to pare down the amount of stuff I have. Finally, to save some cash, although I'm not sure whether or not that is a realistic expectation. I will let you know how it goes!

What is your New Year’s resolution? Could you survive a year without buying anything new?

No comments:

Post a Comment