Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blogging Isn't Easy

Am I right, ladies?

I've been in a bit of a funk lately after my schedule got thrown off due to car troubles (not mine), alumni events, and a touch of the flu, among other things. But now I'm back and ready to get back into it! Here are some highlights from the past few weeks:

1. For the first time in a LONG time, I exercised six days in a row! I kettlebelled three days with Ryan Shanahan, and did yoga with Rodney Yee the other three. And by "with," of course I mean I rearranged my living room furniture and did my KettleWorX videos (all three!), and my favorite dvd:

note: I will now be sourcing through image links, where appropriate; click the image to see the source

I love this dvd because there are 5 different "workouts" to choose from (are they called workouts in yoga? doesn't really seem appropriate...), each focusing on a different type of pose - i.e. standing poses, forward bends, back bends, etc. They're not too long, but difficult enough to feel like you did something substantial (at least for me).

Another milestone for exercise was I upgraded from the 7 pound kettlebell to the 10 pounder! They were on sale at Target and I figured, what the heck. After using it for a week, which was a bit more taxing but not completely horrible, the 7 pound one felt so light! I couldn't believe how heavy it felt when I first started!

The best part is - I used to dread doing the yoga video because some of the poses are hard, I didn't want to get up early, etc. Now that it's a break from kettlebelling, I actually look forward to it and enjoy how relaxing it is compared to squatting a million times in a row.

The worst part is - I haven't done a full six days again since that week. But I did make time for Rodney this morning, and I am planning on seeing Ryan again tomorrow!

Things I will go into more depth on later:
2. I've been making a point to go grocery shopping. It may sound silly, but I hate going to the grocery store even for a few things, and I hate a big shopping trip even more. Because I hate shopping, when I do go I try to stock up on things. Since I'm trying to be healthy, this usually means too many fresh vegetables and fruits than I care to eat going bad, and me eventually throwing them out. So I've been making lists based on the weekly add, coming up with new things to eat, and making sure I don't overbuy (or forcing myself to eat fresh foods before they go bad). I will share some of my new, low PPV recipe favorites in the coming weeks.

3. I finally got a chance to try the oatmeal options at both McDonald's and Starbucks. More on this later, but I prefer Starbucks hands down, even if I wasn't earning stars by buying it.

4. One word: Easter candy!!

5. The new season of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution premiered on Tuesday night.* I'll be interested to see what he comes up with locally, because ever since I watched Food, Inc. I've been trying to figure out how the heck I'm supposed to buy grass-fed, free range beef in LA.

6. Oh yeah, I watched Food, Inc.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything else right now. Stay tuned for more on 2-6, as well as the rest of my semi-healthy life!

*I haven't forgotten that I gave up TV for Lent - I don't watch anything before 8pm, and I only watch TV on purpose (i.e., this would be good research for my blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment