Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Nothing New, Black Tie Edition
Part 2: Other Accoutrements of Fanciness

When we left off, I had just finished telling you about my dress.


But we all know a dress alone does not an outfit make. Let's start from the ground up:

Shoes 
(click to enlarge)
Category: Already owned
From: Under my bed
Cost: Free

I bought these shoes when I went to the Theas for the first time, four years ago. They're fairly comfortable, and a little cheap looking, but I really don't think anyone was looking at my shoes, especially with a floor-length dress. So I didn't really care.






Underthings 
Category: Underthings / High-quality, long-term items
From: Macy's / Target 
Cost: $54.05

How I have gone 29 years and through two strapless bridesmaid dresses without buying a strapless bra, I do not know. But it's something I should probably own anyway, and not something you want to buy used. I wanted to get a good one so that I wouldn't be disappointed next time I had to wear it. I also bought a pair of Assets (Spanx's more cost-conscious cousin), which again, I will probably wear again, and would not want to buy used.

Bracelet
(click to enlarge)
Category: Already owned / Used 
From: On top of my dresser  
Price: $15 (two months ago)

Periodically Rent The Runway will purge their inventory to make room for new stuff, in the form of a clearance sale. Which is exactly where this bracelet came from, a couple of months ago. It retailed for $85 new, and is very sparkly! And a little large. When it came, I was disappointed with it in person, and didn't think I'd ever have any reason to wear it. But after I decided on my dress, it turned out to be the perfect thing to balance out the one shoulder look, and dress up the dress while staying a little funky. Oh yeah.

Earrings
(click to enlarge)
Category: I might be in trouble... 
From: Nordstrom Rack  
Cost: $19.54

Ok, you got me. I bought the earrings! They were new! I could have probably done without them! But after debating the issue momentarily, I decided these qualified as a high-quality, long-term item.

Hear me out: I rarely dress up to the point where I need fancy earrings, but when I do, I wish I had a pair like this: dangly without being heavy, sparkly without being tacky, interesting without being crazy... It's like the dream pair of earrings I've been hoping to find for years. This pair is real crystal, and exceptionally high-quality for the price. I'm sure I will wear them for years to come, if only once in a while.  
Bonus: They didn't irritate my ears at all!

Miscellaneous Expendables  
Category: Expendables   
From: My hallway cupboard / RTR / Target
Cost: Less than $3
I used makeup and bobby pins I already had. RTR sent some fashion tape with the dress, and I was gifted some more that I didn't need to use. I had to buy some hairspray because I had given mine to Renata since I never use it.

Miscellaneous Services
Category: NA
Cost: Free!
I thought about getting my nails done the day of the event, but ran out of time. I almost made an appointment to get my hair done, but decided to wing it (not bad, eh? I was pretty impressed with myself!). I also did my own makeup. I also dressed myself. I did not, however, feed myself, and Sameer forced me to eat a Balance Bar on the drive down. Fortunately, he did not charge me.

Total cost of items other than dress: $88.59 (without factoring in depreciation)
Total disposable costs: None

Combined with my dress rental, my total cost was only $239.04

Fairly frugal, considering how good I looked, right? Let me remind you.

 
Oh, I'm sorry... did I not explain these other accessories? Guess you'll have to stay tuned for Part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment