Monday, May 21, 2012

How To Make The Best Taco Meat Ever
(and lose weight doing it)

Sometimes when I'm low on groceries and feeling adventurous (and, let's face it, lazy), I try to cook dinner from only what's left in the kitchen. This helps me to use up food I have been meaning to finish, and to postpone going to the store for at least another day.

One of my favorite things to eat ever was concocted this way.

And now I will graciously share the recipe with you:

The Best Taco Meat Ever
Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • ~1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 can black beans
  • 2 fistfuls or about 1/3 cup frozen corn
  • taco seasoning
  • bell peppers, tomatoes, etc. (optional)

Heat and oil a large skillet (I use my 12 in. Calphalon Everyday Pan), and brown the turkey.
While the meat is cooking, rinse and drain the black beans.
Drain meat, and season as directed.
Throw in a couple of handfuls of frozen corn. Add black beans and stir.
Add bell peppers, tomatoes, or any other vegetables as desired.
Stir and let simmer with lid on for 1-3 minutes.

Feel free to eat these with corn tortillas, salsa, cheese and nonfat plain greek yogurt (a sour cream substitute that is better than the real thing, I swear).

To reduce PointsPlus Values, I usually prefer something more along these lines:

The most delicious taco salad ever.

This is so good, there's no need for any dressing. I usually get the spinach and spring mix, but any kind of lettuce or kale is great, and 0 PPV! (compared with 2 PPV per corn tortilla)

The best part is, adding all these simple, nutritious ingredients to your taco meat not only makes it taste better, but the beans make it more filling with their added fiber, the veggies add nutrients and substance for 0 additional PPV, and your end product is at least doubled in volume, allowing you to feed more people at once or yourself for a week. That's my kind of recipe!

Depending on how you're eating it, this recipe can be as low as 4 PPV per serving. With a little cheese and a couple of crushed tortilla chips, my salad comes in at about 6 PPV, leaving plenty of room in my daily allowance for Peppermint Patties. If you're into that kind of thing.

What is your favorite low-PPV recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment